Early Case Assignment/Scheduling:
- Courts of Last Resort
- Maryland Court of Appeals: Pending cases are assigned a month for oral argument at the time certiorari is granted. If there appears to be a backlog of any kind, the Court increases the amount of cases it hears for the month.
- North Carolina Supreme Court: This court schedules cases for a calendar shortly after they are appealed or the petitions are allowed. Attorneys are informed of the setting. From that oral argument date, the court schedule back a month bto have all the documents filed, 45 days before oral argument to receive the appellee brief, 30 days prior to that to have the appellant brief, etc.
- Intermediate Appellate Courts
- Louisiana Fifth Circuit Court of Appeal: Case assignments and scheduling of oral arguments are made as soon as the appellant's brief is filed and requests to delay the argument are seldom granted.
- Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals: Our Court assigns cases the day after the filing of the appellee's brief.